Monday, December 29, 2008

Dream....dream, dream, dream....

I know when I'm getting excited about something when I dream about it.

I don't usually remember my dreams, mind you. But this morning before I woke up, I was having a dilly and it had a lot of knitting content. I was packing for a trip I was taking for work (I don't work outside the home, though I have been looking.) The trip was going to occur on a bus (fancy travel bus, not school bus) and we were supposed to meet up at the local high school. We had to wear a black suit with a white shirt, though when I looked at what everyone else was wearing, they were getting around this requirement in very creative ways. But not me, I had my suit...if only I could find it.

I had to get to the high school by 11:30 so I wouldn't miss the bus leaving. So I'm frantically packing, telling Dan he has to get ready to take me there so I wouldn't miss the bus. I'm looking through my knitting projects trying to decide what to take with me...the poncho? the sock? Oh, take 'em all, I decide. Where are my snips? Do I have my instructions?

I'm trying to charge my phone, which changes it's backsplash and announces it belongs to Sparky's Taco Shop instead. Wha'? I don't even know where that is, much less why my phone is doing this! And come to think of it, this is my OLD phone, the one I got through AAA with the black and white screen...how very strange!

I'm frantically looking for all the stuff that needs to go in my suitcase, my knitting tote, etc. and my husband is leisurely getting himself ready. I keep telling him, "Hurry up! We have to leave, it's almost 11:30 and they aren't going to wait for anyone!!!" It's 11:25 and he is just getting in the shower! I'm never going to make it!!!

He gets mad and I get mad, each time I think I'm ready, he's not and when he seems to be, I think of one more thing I need and the result is I wake up grinding my teeth. Weird.

So what does this mean? Is the bus trip wearing the black suit symbolic for death and my husband's stalling tactics to prevent me from going on that trip? Or is a subconscious expression of a desire not to leave the home to work (my favorite explanation, obviously) and my husband is trying to stall that as well? Or is simply the result of too much thinking about knitting before bed?

Anyway, interesting that I had so much knitting in the dream. It's not the only knitting dream I've had lately, though I can't remember the others, only a vague impression that there was knitting somewhere!

Here's the Happy Sock, happy to be finished and even happier that it's mate has been cast on and has a modest inch to it's name:



And I pulled a UFO out of the big knitting bag and worked on that as well:



THIS is Laurel's poncho, using Plymouth Encore and Knitting Pure & Simple's Women's Poncho pattern (#246). I am 18" on this sucker and have 7 1/2" to go before I can do the border and bind off. Then it's just a matter of knitting the hood. Laurel is not as eager to get this garment as she used to be, but let me know, in that infuriating way that teenagers have, that she is still open to receiving it. Oh, thank you, thank you, Laurel, for letting me have the priviledge of knitting for you! Pheh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Teenagers. Ya gotta love'em. But you know as soon as that thing comes off the needles she's going to be dancing around with it and showing it off to all her friends. I remember how much I loved having a sweater my mom had knit: nobody else in the world had anything like this. Just me! Cool!