Wednesday, January 04, 2006

There must be something fundamentally wrong with me.

I have begun a new yarn obsession and this is okay; I've been obsessed with my rubber stamps for a long time. I'm a person of obsessions...this is the way I am and God wills it to be thus. Let me tell you how it starts:

Usually, I get over my previous obsession before I start a new one and may go for a period of time with no obsessions at all. It's a strange way to be...it must be how normal people actually live!

When the obsession starts, it may start innocently enough. But suddenly, I am struck with the necessity of reading about my new obsession every day, of talking about it, and looking at all the little tools and stuff associated with it. That means a visit to the yarn store when it comes to knitting. Considering I have almost enough yarn in my stash to start my own yarn store, this is not a good thing at this time in my life. Considering half of my basement is covered with the tools and materials of my previous obsession, this is definitely not a good thing.

But I thought I might be safe this time. Looking at my yarn in the past few days seemed to satisfy the need to look at yarn.

That fell down today. I ended up going to the yarn store.

I used the Squat's desire for a yellow sweater as an excuse and the fact that he had the stomach flu yesterday seemed to cement the need to go today. After all, the squatter's lovely sisters would probably come down with this malady either tomorrow or the next day and then there would be no going to the yarn store for me.

So, even though I've finally caught my husband's cold and feel like excrement, I did my blog, took a nap, then decided I had to clean enough to at least look like I do something around here during the day. This was the first day that everyone was back in school since December 22nd, and the living room looked like swine had been making their home there for a number of days. I rationalized that if I got the living room picked up and vacuumed, I would at least have earned my yarn money for the day.

By the time this was all done, I had two precious child-free hours to spend. I headed to the yarn store.

You'd be proud of me. I looked at a lot of stuff, but I only ended up buying this:


The pattern is one I had already...at home. So of course, once I came home and showed my son this pattern instead of the Upside-downer I had shown him previously, he liked this better and I need 6 skeins of yellow instead of the 5 I bought. So I called up and had them put one aside for me. I'll pay for it when I go in next week.

Yep, I signed up for my social knitting class, the one I used to go to regularly, the one responsible for the massive stash residing in my basement. I did not go to the yarn store to sign up...but somehow I did. I'm still not sure what happened.

I also looked at other yarn, books and patterns and I didn't buy any! This is also a deep mystery. I did sabotage myself purposely by going without lunch before I went, reasoning that hunger would drive me out of the yarn shop before I did too much damage. And I think that once I complete a survey of the books and patterns I have now, I may be in more danger. But as it is, they were out of the current magazines and that is usually where I start doing damage first when an obsession starts.

In addition, there was a woman there with a really reeky perfume on that made me feel sick, so since she was hanging out near the books, I couldn't tolerate being next to her for long. Providence steps in and rescues me from myself.

In the meantime, I've finished the back of the color blocks sweater and have cast on for the front. Life is good.

No comments: